What you will learn
Why you need a domain name – why choosing the right domain name is crucial to your business
How to choose the best domain name for your company
How to choose the best domain names (even if your domain is already registered)
Where to buy and host domain names
Domain name terminology
Why buy a domain name?
Your business will benefit from a memorable domain name. This will make it easier for people to find your site, but even more important, it will establish you as a serious business person, and not just a hungry wannabe, or even a dishonest character.
It’s always disappointing to see small businesses trying online to establish themselves with domain names that came with no hosting account. They have URL’s like geocities.com/seattletowing or members.shaw.ca/giftbaskets. These URLs immediately indicate that these businesses are “struggling, unlikely to survive.”
If you are interested in this domain name, then please buy it now! People prefer to do business with successful companies. You can appear successful online quite easily. This is how most people started their online careers. No one was wiser than we were. We appeared successful long before our success.
Domain names are probably the most affordable thing you can buy for your company. You shouldn’t spend $5.99 USD per year to use the URL provided by a hosting account.
Important: Many people believe they cannot use their domain name if they are using hosting space from their local ISP. It is false! You can park a domain name with the registrar, and point it to any URL on the Internet.
Tip:Domain names can be purchased from domain “registrars”. In this article, I will tell you which domain name “registrars” sell cheap domain names.
What’s in a name?
“What’s in the name?” The rose we call a rose would smell just as sweet if it was called by another name. William Shakespeare
It’s not so simple with domain names. You could pick any domain name you wanted and your site would “smell like sweet.” There wouldn’t be many people selling and buying domain names worth thousands of dollars.
How do you pick the perfect domain name?
Let’s say our company is Smith & Sons Towing Company. We’re located in Seattle Washington, USA.
1. If you are able to, always buy the entire company/business name. Domain names cannot contain the “&” sign. We need to replace it with “and,” so we’ll buy smithandsonstowingcompany.com.
2. Next, choose the nickname or shorter version that you use most often. In our case, smithandsonstowing.com. We will purchase smithandsons.com if we can, but it is unlikely that we will find it still available.
Tip: You can buy any version of your company name as a.com. You don’t need to worry about other extensions such as.net and.org. You can find your business name on a.com if you don’t know the country extension. Example: smithandsonstowing.ca, smithandsonstowing.co.uk.
You can also purchase the.org version if you’re a charity. You can also purchase the.net version if you’re a telecom company. You can forget about any extensions such as.biz, or.info.
You can only get the.org and.net versions for your company name. However, this is not the best option. Everybody types.com at a domain name’s end automatically. In our hypothetical case, customers may end up at a dead end or on someone else’s Web site if they type in smithandsonstowing.COM and we bought smithandsonstowing.NET!
3. Buy keyword-rich domain names. We need to not only buy our company name but also help people find our website if they don’t know the name of our business. One good option is to buy some keyword-rich domain names like seattletowingcompany.com and seattle-towing-company.com. We can prevent the competition buying similar domain names to ours by purchasing both versions. Search engines will recognize the version with hyphens and treat them as distinct words. This will increase traffic to our site.
First, we must know the keywords people use to search for companies similar to ours to help us find the best domain names. WordTracker.com is a free tool that can be used to find this information.
We get too many generic terms for “towing” and too many cities when we search for it. We see that “towing Seattle” is the most popular search term. We’ve done a tremendous service to our customers if we can grab the domain names towingseattle.com or towing-seattle.com. If we can’t, we’ll try to keep the same word order, but buy a longer domain name, like a1-towing-seattle.com or aaa-towing-seattle.com.
4. Domain names should be purchased that begin with the alphabet. Why choose “A1” and “AAA” instead of “fast”, “best,” or “cheap?” as the first letter of our keyword-rich domain names? If we have the option, we should choose a domain name that starts with the alphabet. A1 and AAA are both synonyms for “best”, but they place us at the top in any online towing directory. AAA does not.
Notice: Numbers are listed before alphabetical directory listings. So 123towingcompany.com will be listed before aaatowingcompany.com.
Tip: Don’t buy a domain name that doesn’t begin with an “A” or a number. You can then use the domain name to create your business name in online directories that you advertise in. This will place you at the top alphabetically.
5. You should buy the plural and singular domain names that are most likely to be mistyped. So, if your company name is Adventure Cruise Company and your short domain name is adventureCRUISE.com, also buy adventureCRUISES.com!
6. Avoid confusing spellings in your domain name. For example, if your company name is Logic Computer Company you should not spell “logic” with a zero instead. You can choose a domain name that is keyword-rich if you are unable to get your company name.
7. Avoid strange hyphenation. You can hyphenate any or all of the words in your domain names (buy both). In our case, a1towingseattle.com and a1-towing-seattle.com are both better domain names than a1-towingseattle.com. Domain names with strange hyphenations should not be bought unless there is a reason for the competition to stop buying them.
8. You should look for memorable, short domain names. Although short domain names can be difficult to find, they are not uncommon. A shorter domain name will be remembered better by people and will result in fewer typos when they type it. For instance, ablewebs.com is better than ablewebswebdesigncompany.com.
Tip:Visually, a long domain name is better when hyphenated: able-webs-web-design-company.com. If I was forced to purchase a long domain, I would do so with or without hyphens. I would also use the hyphenated version for my business cards, letterhead, and advertising.
9. When you use your URL in any advertising medium, such as your email signature, classified ads or letterhead, capitalize the first letter of each word. Example: A1TowingSeattle.com makes it easier to read than a1towingseattle.com.
10. Use misspellings for your company name and keywords. For instance, if your company name is Debra’s Doughnuts, try to buy deborahsdoughnuts.com, debrasdonuts.com, etc. To cover all spellings of Debra or doughnuts.
Where can I buy my domain names?
Domain Names at a Cheap Price
Go to 1and1.com to register a domain name at.com. Domain names can be purchased there for $6.99 USD per year. GoDaddy.com is my favourite domain registrar. Sometimes domains go on sale but the regular price is $9.99 USD. GoDaddy is easy to use. NameCheap.com offers domains for $9.69 USD. Moniker.com offers them for $8.02 USD.
Although there are many ways to purchase domain names at a lower price, these sites can sometimes be confusing for those who don’t know what they are. BustAName.com is a great way to save some money. They resell domains from GoDaddy.com at $6.95 USD
Country-specific domain names
You can search online for domain names in your country, e.g. domain names canada. Next, search for the lowest price. Netfirms.ca offers Canadian domain names starting at $9.95 per year.
Where can I host my domain name?
Do not automatically choose the domain name registrar for your hosting company. Do your research and find a company that offers excellent customer service and has all the features you need. Look for hosting companies that offer cPanel as a simple, intuitive administration interface.
These are top-quality hosting services. All of them are good, but HostGator is the best in the Internet marketing world.
What do I do with all these domain names?
Most domain names can be “parked” at no cost by most registrars. They will then be forwarded to your main domain.
Forwardeding is an option that can be requested from your registrar. This service is usually offered by registrars at no cost. This is a very important option. Make sure to check that you don’t need to pay.
Domain names are very affordable. To protect your company’s name and market niche online, you can use the above rules to purchase the best domain names.
This article is for domain owners who already have domain names.
You can find her at secretbrokerage.com